Workshop on Gender Mainstreaming in Curriculum and Textbook Development from Regional Education officers on Curriculum and Textbook Development Held
IICBA held the workshop on gender mainstreaming in curriculum and textbook development for regional education officers in Addis Ababa on the 8th and 9th of December 2016. The participants were curriculum and gender experts from nine regional states and two city administrations in Ethiopia. Curriculum experts from the Federal Ministry of Education in Ethiopia were also present. The workshop was officially opened by Mr. Omar Diop, Program Specialist of IICBA, and then facilitated by Dr. Alemayehu Bishaw of Bahirdar University. Dr. Yumiko Yokozeki, Director of UNESCO-IICBA and Ms. Elizabeth Gessesse, Director of Gender Directorate at the Federal Ministry of Education in Ethiopia, presented at the closing remarks of the workshop.
The two-day training covered the following topics:
• Basic concepts on curriculum and textbook development;
• Basic concepts on gender;
• Integrating concepts of gender in curriculum and textbook development;
• Gender stereotypes on curriculum and textbook development;
• Ensuring gender equality on curriculum and textbook development;
• Stakeholders’ role and responsibility in integrating and ensuring gender equality in curriculum and textbook development.